Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Healing Webring 2.0

EDIT: Bati at Holy Nova Now! had the same idea, and apparently much earlier than I did (back in April), but I can't say I have ever read her blog, and it wasn't till I saw Zahia's comment that I knew she had revisited the meme! ... Great minds, as they say, think alike! - I promise it was nothing more than coincidence!


I know that things change, that people change and that WoW is not the be-all and end-all of everything. That doesn't mean that I don't feel a sense of loss when people of the community board up their blogs - or worse, just vanish into the ether.

I was looking at my stats the other day (don't worry, this isn't a post all about me) and my greatest source of traffic by a considerable margin has been (and is still) Miss Medicina. That's amazing when everyone's favourite Dwarf Priest hasn't posted regularly since September!

So, in honor of Jessabelle, I would like to restart the Healing Webring. I take no credit for the idea, I take no credit for the questions. But I know how much the answers taught me, about my own healing and the strengths and weaknesses of my fellow healers way back in 2009, and I hope that a new crop of bloggers (and the old fogies that are still here) might be able to learn from each other as well.

It also dovetails nicely into my posts on improving my toon.

As Jess did, I will keep a list of answers to the questions as well.

So here’s how it works.

Post this questionnaire, with your answers, on your blog. Pick the healing class you know most about (or is the focus of your blog) for the questionnaire, and then send it over to another healing blogger you know and love who heals with a DIFFERENT class. Include a link to the blogger who sent you the questionnaire, as well as a link to the blogger to whom you are sending it.

1. What is the name, class, and spec of your primary healer? Saundin, Holy Paladin
2. What is your primary group healing environment? (i.e. raids, pvp, 5 mans) 10-man raiding, but also plenty of PvP and 5-mans
3. What is your favorite healing spell for your class and why? Beacon of Light. It was awesomely OP in Wrath, and is still the friend of tanks everywhere.
4. What healing spell do you use least for your class and why? I don't use Light of Dawn anywhere near as much as I should. Mostly because it requires positioning, which is one more thing to think about.
5. What do you feel is the biggest strength of your healing class and why? The ability to be a healer, but to be in melee, to be able to heal while something is chewing on your face. Non-Squishy Heals, you know you love them.
6. What do you feel is the biggest weakness of your healing class and why? Being the only class/spec combination in the game that needs a seperate loot table, hence less loot by definition.
7. In a 25 man raiding environment, what do you feel, in general, is the best healing assignment for you? On the bench. ROTFL. If I *have* do do a 25 man, it would still be the tank-healing role that I do in 10s.
8. What healing class do you enjoy healing with most and why? Druids. The synergy of Divine Light bombing while a Druid rolls the HoTs is awesome.
9. What healing class do you enjoy healing with least and why? Hmm, that's harder. I really don't worry about what other healing classes are int he team, and I don't have any one class I dislike haling with.
10. What is your worst habit as a healer? Not using all the cooldowns I have available nearly as often as I should.
11. What is your biggest pet peeve in a group environment while healing? My own tunnel vision that results in me floor-tanking.
12. Do you feel that your class/spec is well balanced with other healers for PvE healing? The changes that have been made to make the healers more similar have actually harmed this IMO as I think it has weakened the ability for us to heal tanks. I'd sacrifice the AoE heals for better tank healing any day.
13. What tools do you use to evaluate your own performance as a healer? Raid success has to be up there, and apart from that I need to do a lot more to fine tune what I do.
14. What do you think is the biggest misconception people have about your healing class? that every Holy Pally is instantly geared from the awesome (*cough*) selection of role-specific loot from bosses.
15. What do you feel is the most difficult thing for new healers of your class to learn? Mana management, by far. especially in the early 5-mans one you hit max level.
16. If someone were to try to evaluate your performance as a healer via recount, what sort of patterns would they see (i.e. lots of overhealing, low healing output, etc)? Bad use of cooldowns :( Too much standing in bad :( ... apart form that, all the normal Pally stuff of overhealing etc
17. Haste or Crit and why? Aside from there never being a time at which haste is bad, I have way too many moments where people die when my heal is 90% cast. whatever the cause, crit isn't going to fix those!
18. What healing class do you feel you understand least? Shammy's are the healers I have played least, but they are by all accounts the most similar to Pallys in their healing style.
19. What add-ons or macros do you use, if any, to aid you in healing? Vuhdo, definitely. No Vuhdo, no healing :D. DBM to tell me when to get out of stuff, Power Auras to do nifty things like show how many HP I have and when cooldowns are active.
20. Do you strive primarily for balance between your healing stats, or do you stack some much higher than others, and why? Lol. Balance? Holy Pallys? ha ha ha. Int till your eyes bleed. Then haste till they bleed quicker.

So there we go. I should go back and see what I answered last time and how that compares ... in the meantime, I tag Shintar at Priest with a Cause and Fannon at the Dwarven Battle Medic to start things off. - If you haven't been tagged and want to jump on the bandwagon, please do, just leave a comment so I can link to you!

P.S. Jess, if you are reading this, I hope you don't mind!

I have created a page where I will link all the Answers

12 comments:

  1. Oh I remember these questions, they're one of the reasons I got into reading WoW-blogs in the first place - I loved reading about how different people healed :3 What a great idea to revisit them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for thinking of me to start this new ring out, Saunder! I'm looking forward to doing this, passing it on and seeing how far it will go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Posted, as per Shintar's pointing it out to me.

    Look forward to reading others versions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't participate when Miss Medicina did it before, but even though I wasn't passed to I don't want to miss out again! So here's mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah these were a fun read the first time round and should be a good read again now that we're well into Cataclysm :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'd ever get tagged, so I decide to post as well and pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I posted my answers on my blog. I really don't know who to pass to, but here's my answers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I answered it a few months ago, here are my answers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mine :)

    http://slice213.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/coh-v2-0-with-moar-bubbles-p/

    ReplyDelete